Album · 1984 · 8 Songs.
Lyle Mays waited a long, long time before straying from the Pat Metheny Group to issue his first solo album, but when he did, the results were at once removed but not totally untethered to the Metheny sound and feeling.
Lyle Mays – Lyle Mays. Label: Geffen Records – 9 24097-2, Metheny Group Productions – 9 24097-2. Piano, Producer, Composed By – Lyle Mays. Pipe – Patrick Sky (tracks: 1). Producer – Steven Cantor. Printed in USA' in rear cover and booklet.
Album · 1984 · 8 Songs. Music of Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays.
Pianist/composer Lyle Mays was born with perfect pitch in a tiny rural hamlet of Wisconsin. Had it not been for his family's strong affinity for music, Mays may have had little exposure in that environment. Mays wrote, or co-wrote, with Metheny, almost all of the original Pat Metheny Group catalog from their second ECM release, Watercolors (which included Eberhard Weber) through The Way Up (Nonesuch, 2005). Like a microcosm of the entire album, the twenty-four minute "Fictionary" does indeed open like a Keith Jarrett tune. Mays' opening solo (almost the length of the original studio track) is a thing of nuanced beauty, leading up to Shepard's saxophone, kicking up the tempo. Walker's very long drum solo is a high-powered clinic and surprisingly musical as the drummer shifts patterns and intensity for effect.
LYLE MAYS - Lyle Mays. Filed under Post-Fusion Contemporary By LYLE MAYS. Geffen Records – 9 24097-2 (US). Thanks to snobb for the updates. Lyle Mays Geffen Records 1990. Solo: Improvisations For Expanded Piano By Lyle Mays (2000-05-22) Warner.
pianista, tastierista e organista statunitense. Leggi in un'altra lingua. Aggiungi agli osservati speciali. Lyle Mays (Wausaukee, 27 novembre 1953) è un pianista, tastierista e organista statunitense. Nato nel 1953 nel Wisconsin in una famiglia di musicisti - madre pianista e padre chitarrista, vive in una fattoria nei pressi di Mc Allister fino al 1971. Comincia a studiare il pianoforte nel 1959. Nel 1967 frequenta il National Stage Band Camp alla Millikin University
Tracklist Hide Credits
Bagpipes [Uillean Pipes] – Patrick Sky
|B1||Mirror Of The Heart||4:58|
|B3||Close To Home||6:10|
- Manufactured By – RCA Eletrônica Ltda.
- Distributed By – RCA Eletrônica Ltda.
- Licensed From – WEA Discos Ltda.
- Acoustic Bass – Marc Johnson
- Artwork By [Design] – Norman Moore
- Composed By – Lyle Mays
- Drums – Alejandro N. Acuña*
- Engineer [Assistant] – Rob Jaczko
- Executive Producer – Pat Metheny
- Guitar – Bill Frisell
- Mastered By – Bob Ludwig
- Mixed By – Jan Erik Kongshaug
- Mixed By [Assistant] – Jon Goldberger
- Other [Production Assistant] – David Oakes, Jerry Radas, Niki Gatos, Tom Sheehan
- Percussion – Nana Vasconcelos*
- Photography [Cover Photo] – David A. Cantor
- Photography [Liner Photo] – David Stewart
- Piano, Synthesizer, Autoharp – Lyle Mays
- Producer – Lyle Mays, Steven Cantor
- Recorded By, Engineer – Jeff Hendrickson
- Recorded By, Engineer, Engineer [Assistant] – Rob Eaton
- Saxophone [Alto & Soprano] – Billy Drewes
NotesRecorded 1985 at the Power Station, NYC. B3 recorded at Blue Jay Recording Studio, Carlise, MA.
WAX: COC 91.126.074/0002-44
℗ & © 1986 Metheny Group Production, Inc.
|XGHS 24097||Lyle Mays||Lyle Mays (LP, Album)||Geffen Records, Metheny Group Productions||XGHS 24097||Canada||1986|
|924 097-1||Lyle Mays||Lyle Mays (LP, Album)||Geffen Records||924 097-1||Europe||1986|
|88025||Lyle Mays||Lyle Mays (LP, Album, Promo)||Geffen Records||88025||Argentina||1986|
|M5 24097||Lyle Mays||Lyle Mays (Cass, Album)||Geffen Records||M5 24097||Canada||1986|
|924097-1||Lyle Mays||Lyle Mays (LP, Album)||Geffen Records||924097-1||Italy||1986|