Kids Are Pretty People Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. 3. St. Louise Blues Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. 4. The Waltz You "Swang" For Me Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. 5. Say It Softly Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. 6. The Second Race Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. Recorded live at the Village Vanguard in 1968 two years after the band's debut, this live performance features the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra at the height of their powers, allowing the legendary compositions of Thad Jones to shine under their best light: live big-band jazz. This album contains high-resolution digital transfers of material originating from an analogue master source.
A1. Mornin' Reverend. Composed By, Arranged By – Thad Jones. A2. Kids Are Pretty People. Thad Jones, Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. United Artists Records.
The Magnificent Thad Jones, Vol. Thad Jones. 2015 Remastered 2015. The Big Band Sound of Thad Jones, Mel Lewis, Featuring Miss Ruth Brown. After Hours (Best Jazz Album). Sonny Stitt Plays Arrangements from the Pen of Johnny Richards and Quincy Jones.
Magnus Lindgren, Monday Night Big Band, Rigmor Gustafsson - Sophisticated Lady 05:08. Magnus Lindgren, Monday Night Big Band, Rigmor Gustafsson - Do Nothing Till You Hear from Me 06:15. Monday Night Big Band - The Second Race 05:53. All songs from Absolut Jazz, Vol. 1. Monday Night Big Band - Thanks To Thad, 1997. Return Journey - Quietude 05:01.
The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra was a jazz big band formed by trumpeter Thad Jones and drummer Mel Lewis in New York in 1965. The band performed for twelve years in its original incarnation, including a 1972 tour of the Soviet Union during the height of the Cold War. The band won a Grammy Award for the album Live in Munich and in 2009 for the album Monday Night Live at the Village Vanguard.
Half of the music showcases Jones in a quartet with pianist John Dennis, bassist Mingus and drummer Max Roach. while the other six numbers are more in a Count Basie groove with Frank Wess on tenor and flute, pianist Hank Jones, Mingus and drummer Kenny Clarke. The originals tend to be tricky, and even such standards as "I'll Remember April," "You Don't Know What Love Is" and "Get Out of Town" have their surprising moments.
Michael Patterson arranged 11 of Jones' songs, adapting Thad's own arrangements, which were originally made for either combos or a big band, for the all-star octet. Each of the veteran musicians had an association with Thad Jones. Happily, they all sound in pretty good form, with the tenors of Benny Golson, James Moody, and Frank Wess battling it out on "One More. A tape of the late pianist Sir Roland Hanna is used during the first part of Jones' most famous original, "A Child Is Born
|2||Evil Man Blues||4:06|
|7||Hallelujah I Love Her So||3:07|
|8||The Second Race||5:29|
|9||Ewol Deklav Ni||10:41|
|10||Mean What You Say||9:52|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – TCB Music
- Copyright (c) – TCB Music
- Distributed By – TCB Distribution
- Alto Saxophone [2nd] – Ulf Holmström
- Alto Saxophone [Lead], Sopranino Saxophone – Håkan Caesar
- Baritone Saxophone – Ulf Fagerberg
- Bass – Jan Karlsson
- Bass Trombone – Björn Hängsel
- Drums – Rasmus Kihlberg
- Executive-Producer – Peter Schmidlin
- Graphics, Artwork – Gigi Schmid-Huetiger
- Guitar – Krister Palmqvist
- Leader, Conductor – Jörgen Nilsson
- Liner Notes – Jörgen Nilsson , Olle Lindell
- Percussion – Ola Bothzén
- Photography By – Fredrik Bjelkerud
- Piano – Jan Lundgren
- Recorded By [Engineer] – Hans Larsson
- Tenor Saxophone [1st] – Karl-Martin Almqvist
- Tenor Saxophone [2nd] – Fredrik Carlquist
- Trombone [2nd] – Ola Nordqvist
- Trombone [3rd] – Peter Dahlgren
- Trombone [Lead] – Ola Åkerman
- Trumpet [2nd] – Fredrik Davidsson
- Trumpet [3rd] – Niklas Fredin
- Trumpet [4th] – John Perry
- Trumpet [Lead] – Anders Gustavsson (tracks: 6, 9, 10), Christer Gustavsson (tracks: 8)
- Vocals – Niklas Fredin (tracks: 2, 7)
Notes(P) & (C) 1997 by TCB Music AG
Recorded at Studio 7, Radio Sweden, Malmö on December 9-11, 96 and February 9, 97
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 7619945979024
- Rights Society: SUISA
- Label Code: LC 5370